I. Vocabulary and Structure
There are 30 questions in this part. For each question there are 4 choices marked
A, B, C, and D. Choose the One that best answers the question.
1. Marriage C on true love often brings happiness.
A. decided B. determined C. based D. relied
2. The ___A_____ scheme is destined to fail from the very beginning.
A. foolish B. fool C. fooled D. folly
3. D the Christmas season, all the people are very happy.
A. With B. For C. To D. In
4. Have you got ___ D ___ for the coming examination?
A. easy B. busy C. lazy D. ready
5. What is the C name of Britain?
A. officious B. offices C. official D. office
6. Did you take B in the fighting yesterday?
A. the part B. part C. parts D. /
7. All the parents worry about the C of TV on their children.
A. defect B. result C. effect D. affect
8. We are fully prepared __ C ___ more hard work.
A. on B. in C. for D. \
9. The noise __ B ___ me from sleep just now.
A. arouses B. aroused C. arise D. raise
10. Soon he is inside the ___ B _ building where his company has offices.
A. sixty story B. sixty-story
C. sixty stories D. sixty-stories
11. You should be out playing __ B __ working indoors.
A. instead B. instead of C. but D. nothing but
12. When she opened the door, she found a boy ___ A _ in the snow, weeping.
A. lying B. laying C. lie D. lay
13. You mustn’t blame me ___B _ that; it wasn't my fault.
A. of B. for C. to D. in
14. D his old age, he still went to his office on foot every day.
A. Because of B. In spite of C. Though D. Despite of
15. He is very A with his money.
A. careless B. worried C. free D. thoughtless
16. You are supposed to A carelessness, for it often leads to errors.
A. get rid ofB. get the rid of
C. get ride over D. get ridden
17. How do English people use B ?
A. a knife and fork B. knife and fork
C. theknife and fork D. knife and forks
18. He seemed to feel the C of some explanation.
A. essential B. wish C. necessity D. necessary
19. Sometimes it’s important for a mystery shopper to have the right B .
A. programB. profile C. progress D. process
20. If you order the tickets by phone, you have to pay a $2 C charge as well as $13.50 for each ticket.
A. serving B. serve C. service D. serves
21. The scientist played an important part in developing his country’s nuclear power C
A. processB. profile C. program D. progress
22. It’s a challenging job but a rewarding one. C
A. easy and quick B. light and profitable
C. useful or beneficial D. hard or slow
23. People are rather B about the appearance of clones.
A. doubt B. doubted C. doubtful D. doubting
24. The essays by foreign students are well-written ___D ___ some spelling mistakes?
A. beside B. besides C. except D. except for
25. It is the boy’s laziness that __ A ___ his failure in the exams….
A. resulted in B. resulted from
C. brought in D. led into
26. Be sure to __ C ___ your work at the end of exam
A. set aside B. hang up
C. look over D. catch sight of
27. Scientists didn’t know much about lung cancer __ C ____.
A. before long B. long before
C. until recently D. very soon
28. The manager said the plan was terrible and had ___ B ___ chance of success.
A. a few B. few C. a little D. little
29. I had no sooner closed the door __ B ____ somebody started knocking on it.
A. as B. than C. before D. when
30. True love cannot be C , and it is priceless.
A. brought B. caught C. bought D. broad